Getting on the naughty list means huge fines on businesses for non-compliance.
If the term “PCI Compliance” gives you the holiday blues, you are not alone. This initiative is the largest compliance effort in the world, as it affects anyone who accepts credit card payments, regardless of company size. So you can be pretty confident that the market for PCI Compliant solutions is huge.
In states like Nevada and Washington, PCI Compliance is a law. In others, it’s up to the credit card companies to ensure payments are being safely and securely handled. At the very minimum, make sure your vendors are meeting the lowest requirements of the PCI DSS, which outlines six major objectives.
An Effortless Summary of PCI Objectives:
- You must have a secure network.
- Your storage of the credit card data must be secure, including encryption over the Internet.
- The security of the network is paramount, which means protection from the latest threats and malware is crucial.
- The users at your company must have well-controlled access, such as unique passwords that are changed frequently. Data must be restricted and on a need-to-know basis.
- Monitoring and testing must be in place for your network and security. This includes keeping things up to date.
- You must have a written plan and stick to it.
Any business that accepts credit cards as a form of payment absolutely has to be aware that mounting regulations are out there – and for a good reason. The steps to protect consumers are fairly simple, but if left undone, they expose the retailer and their customers not only to hefty fines, but also to potentially crippling negative media attention once a potential breach turns into a terrible reality and is made public.
We help our clients meet the compliance requirements for PCI. It’s our standard and is built into every solution we provide.
How Effortless Can Help
- We build and maintain your network and systems with best-of-breed, enterprise-grade security measures in place right from the start.
- We partner with you to protect precious data, such as cardholder information.
- We take a layered approach to security, which provides you the extra protection your company needs. Your spam filter, virus detection and firewall will catch 90 percent of the threats out there, but what about the other 10 percent? That’s on us and our security-as-a-service, Effortless Defense.
- We help clients develop and maintain a vulnerability management program, including creating user permissions that are commensurate with the users’ job functions.
- We proactively monitor and tests our clients’ networks around the clock.
We work with you and your business to ensure you have a bullet proof security plan in place.
So this holiday season, don’t let credit card data slip through your fingers and into the hands of hackers. Don’t expose yourself and your business to fines, litigation, suspension of your merchant account, prolonged media exposure, or the loss of trust from your customers. Ensure you and your vendors are meeting the six objectives of PCI Compliance, and reach out to us at Effortless if you need our help.